Utility Billing - Frequently Asked Questions

Where do I pay bills?

The water department is located in Blooming Grove City Hall at 200 South Fordyce. Office hours are 8:00 am - 4:00 pm M-F. We are closed 12:00 pm - 1:00 pm for lunch.

How do I get the water service turned on?

Initiating service requires a completed application, have a photo ID available, and make payment of a $200.00 deposit for property owner or of a $250.00 deposit for renters.

When do I get my deposit back?

The deposit will be deducted from your final bill.

How can I pay my water bill?

The City of Blooming Grove accepts payment by check, cash, cashier's check, money order or credit card. You can pay inside City Hall Monday - Friday 8:00 am-4:00 pm. We have a night drop slot available 24 - hours a day located at the front door of City Hall. You also have the option to pay on-line with a link at the Welcome Page on this site.

Where is my water meter located?

Most often the meter is located in the front of the house or in an alley behind it. It'll be covered with a black round or rectangular lid.

Why would my water bill be much higher than usual?

The two biggest reasons are outdoor watering and leaks - a leaky toilet or hole in the line as small as a thin pencil lead can waste over 5,000 gallons in a month!

How are my sewer rates set?

Sewer rates are based on water consumption.

Are there any water restrictions?

The governing body of the City is fully committed to conserving our treated water usage, regardless of whether or not drought restrictions are in effect. To optimize the effective use of treated water within our City the following restrictions are placed on outdoor watering during the period April 1 thru October 31 of each year. Lawn sprinklers may not be used between the hours of 10:00 am and 6:00 pm. This restriction does not apply to hand watering, the use of soaker hoses, or the washing of cars.

How often is my meter read?

Meters are read on a monthly basis during the last week of the month.

How does ensuring the meter reader clear access to the meter help keep costs down?

If a meter reader can quickly collect a reading from the meter on the first visit to your property, it helps keep utility costs down.

Here are some helpful tips for making sure that your water meter is accessible:

  • Trim bushes, trees and grass that block the way to or cover the water meter.
  • Please make sure nothing blocks access to the meter box - like cars, trailers, garbage cans, construction equipment or supplies, and landscape bark or gravel.
  • If your meter is located behind a gate that is normally kept locked, please contact us at (903) 695-2711 to arrange access.
  • Please remember your meter is located in the City's right of way and if repairs are needed the City is not held responsible for replacing or repairing any private property located in the right of way.
  • Please ensure your house address is clearly displayed on your residence. This will not only assist the meter reader but helps emergency personnel as well.

What do I do if I have a leak or stopped-up-sewer?

The city's responsibility for a sewer stoppage begins at the point your line attaches to the main line. You will need a plumber for stoppages or leaks that occur from that point into the house or business. The city's responsibility for water leaks begins at the point your line attaches to the meter. You will need a plumber for leaks that occur from that point into the house or business.